Worst Top Coat Ever

Wednesday 8 May 2013


After years of never using a topcoat on my nails, I succumbed to the idea that it may actually help my manicure last longer. Seduced by the long lasting gel manicures but looking to find something a little cheaper I decided to buy Sally Hansen's No Chip Acrylic Top Coat.


Once my two coats of Barry M was perfectly dry I applied a layer of the top coat, even adding some under tip of the nail as the product had suggested. The formula was a little thick and difficult to manipulate but after drying it looked great, in fact it looked great for the rest of the day.

However I went to bed, and woke up to find my nails like this.



Hairline cracks had appeared all over my nails which obviously led to the polish flaking and crumbling away as the day went on. I’ve never seen anything like this before so assumed that it was down to the top coat.

Naturally I took to Google to see if anyone else had experienced the same thing and found this (click the image to enlarge):



More than a few customers have complained about the very same thing on the Sally Hansen US site. Out of 26 reviews on the site, only one of them was positive. See for yourself HERE

This is when I got really annoyed. It was bad enough to not even get a full 24 hours wear out my polish before it chipped. However to find out that this is an ongoing problem that the manufacturers are clearly aware of, yet they still insist on putting the product on the marking is infuriating.  

There are two morals to this story:
1 – If it ain’t broke, don’t try to cover it in a top coat.
2 – Do your research, that’s what the internet is there for.

Sally Hansen No Chip Acrylic Top Coat - £Even free would be too much

1 comment:

All comments welcome!